Dear Wayne State Community,
The Department of Biomedical Communications is available to work on design work remotely. On site photographic and printing projects available by appointment. We will continue to support the multimedia and visual communications needs of the WSU SOM community during this disruption of normalcy. Please contact email@example.com for assistance. Thank you.
The Department of Medical Communications is an in-house full-service studio and can help you with concept, layout and final production. We can create a variety of artwork for your project and we are happy to help you produce Wayne State University branded materials. Our design services include:
- Conceptual design development.
- Digital illustration and basic medical illustration, medical charts and diagram.
- Layout and medium consideration, relationships with print vendors
- Electronic invitations.
- Printed newsletters, posters, flyers, postcards, programs, banners.
- Interactive PDFs, Dynamic, engaging, interactive, animated PowerPoint presentations.
All printed materials, online and/or digital displays, and projects are developed to adhere with university compliance rules and regulations. Length of design time varies dependent on the type of media needed and established when work order estimate is written. Output content is received either by internally (our department) creating the projects, by email, or submitted by you the customer personally. Service involves printing and/or electronic output. We can print posters, postcards, flyers, brochures and photos. We can save and/or convert electronic files to send via email or store on Microsoft OneDrive. Printed output is limited to machine and supply availability. Call ahead for availability. Projects are normally addressed on a first come first serve basis, with the needs on the university taking priority.
In-house Printing and Art Production
Most often, we are able to print your design work in house. We have two large format printers that are able to handle a variety of materials such as basic paper, heavy weight paper, semi and high-gloss papers, canvas, indoor banner, tyvek. Our laser printer allow us to print flyers, postcards, brochures, small signage up to oversized tabloid size (12" x 18") A variety of different paper stock is available, however, if its specialty paper you need, please call ahead for availability. Some of our other art production services include
- Foam board and museum board mounting.
- Lamination of posters and documents.
- Wire-binding for formal booklet presentations.
- Framing and re-framing of photographs and certificates.
- Trimming for special sizes such as postcards or flyers that bleed.
- Construction of distinguished awards.
We offer photographic services for student/faculty/staff group and media events. We also photograph landscape, architecture, specimens, and lab procedures for WSU related content. Professional headshots can be taken in our studio for $25/person. Headshot groups 10 or more receive a 20% discount off the total. Please call us at 313-577-1482 to schedule an appointment. For individual portraits, use our Portrait Scheduler to make your own appointment online.
Short Video Production and Motion Graphics
We now offer supplemental video for social media and other use. At this time, we are primarily focused on recording short elevator pitches that could be incorporated into other areas. Along with the video, we were also responsible for creating the title graphic animations and the lower thirds (the informative text overlaying the video). Our primary goals for the videos can be summarized in three points:
- Stimulating interest in the student/faculty research by showcasing the results of their hard work and perseverance.
- Transitioning that interest by telling a story that illustrates their talents.
- Sharing their vision of what makes Wayne State University School of Medicine a great institution.
Our specialty areas for creating video content include:
- Creating motion graphics (intros, logo animation, lower thirds, titles).
- Compositing and editing.
- Rendering to movie files or for upload to social media (YouTube, Facebook, Instagram).